Sunday, October 16, 2011

Festival of Eagles

Did you know that during the months of fall, thousands of Golden Eagles migrate across the Rocky Mountains, heading south towards Mexico. And in the spring, they are migrating back again towards the north – and I mean thousands. When this migration was first noticed in 1992, since then surveys have been conducted both in March and October. By the year 2003, over 80,000 Golden Eagles were counted, including other birds of prey like the Bald Eagle and numerous species of Hawk.
I got to see at least two Golden Eagles soaring in the blue skies, above the many peaks in Canmore.  
I was invited to Canmore as a guest speaker at the festival that celebrates this Golden Eagle migration.
The weekend was a feast for naturalists and bird watchers as guided nature walks were offered, scopes were out on the streets of Canmore, poised to the skies above and the Alberta Birds of Prey Foundation had live birds of prey on exhibit. I stood a mere foot away from a Great Horned Owl, the very same specie that we enjoyed (from a distance) during early springtime in Niagara.

The guest speaker who opened up the festival on the Friday evening was Charlie Russell. Now if that name does not ring any bells for you, let me put it this way. I can play a few tunes on the guitar, but I do so when I am alone because I sound really average. So imagine me getting up on stage to perform my few songs immediately after the band U2 had been playing. Well Charlie Russell is like U2 in the naturalist, conversationalist and environmental world. He is an admirable and dedicated advocate for our planet. He has spent 10 years living with the Grizzlies in Kamchatka, the great wilderness in the most easterly region of Russia. Charlie has done some fabulous work trying to protect the endangered Grizzly Bear. His work consists of rescuing orphaned Grizzly bear cubs from captivity and early death, then re-introduces them back to the wild. He plays the crucial role as a surrogate mother.  ‘The Edge of Eden” is a must see documentary. His relationship with the bears will fill you with awe.

I spoke on the Saturday night and was happy to see a number of children attending my presentation. A young group of Rangers drove from Red Deer to take part in the festival and who were also in the audience. I noticed that throughout my entire presentation they stay tuned and interested, a when I finished speaking, they were bursting with numerous questions which kept me on my toes.
The afternoon before my presentation, I managed to escape to the hills. I headed up a trail along Cougar Creek, a valley running between two large mountains. Having spent most of my summer living on the treeless plain of the Tundra, the rugged peaks and luscious trees were welcomed. I often stopped on the trail to scan the mountain side in the hope of seeing a lone bear meandering freely in its own precious territory. However, 2 squirrels, 3 chipmunks and 1 bunny rabbit later were the critters I had sighted.

As I traveled by van away from the mountains and towards the Calgary airport, my mind journeyed  alone the many paths this presentation had taken me on, since returning from South Georgia. I never realized how many special people and precious places I would encounter simply by sharing my own stories of adventure and concern for an animal I care so deeply about. How grateful I am for the many gifts I have received in return of the one I have to offer.

Now, while back in Winnipeg, I have already met my first group that I will take to Churchill. The Polar Bear season has begun. Tales from the Tundra will soon be told.
Thanks for your interest. Take care and enjoy!
Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment