Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My time spent in The Land of the Long White Cloud

In memory of those who died in the Christchurch Earthquake

The days are flying by and it is now less than a month until I return to Canada. I dread the goodbyes I will have to say to my family. This visit has been very family focused and I am relieved that it is so.
Although I have precious friends who I have not seen in over 5 years, and who I would like to see, I have chosen to venture not too far from home. Instead I move from my mums house to my sisters then to my dad’s, spending time with each of them and indulging in different activities.

Last Saturday I sailed on my dad’s 12 foot wooden dingy . It was no ordinary sail for he had built it from scratch himself, including the solid Kauri 12ft wooden mast. It is a pretty boat with attractive lines and it sails like a dream. I had to pinch myself as we sailed smoothly and quickly in a 15 knot Northerly breeze in the Porirua Harbour. Dad belongs to a sailing club and before we were on the water, sailing lessons were taking place by the local kids. How neat to see the young ones learning a new skill and enjoying the great outdoors.

Mums prized pumpkin that grew accidentally out of her compost pile
The following day mum and I were walking Bella on the beach after a working around her house and yard. There was a stiff breeze blowing, causing the sand to literally run swiftly along the beach and whipping Bella’s ears about like a kite.

I’m really enjoying the simple act of helping mum around her home. We pulled wood from under her house in preparation for putting insulation down, we mowed the lawns, loaded a trailer with items for the tip (rubbish dump) and sorted through my old teaching supplies, photos and letters. That was an emotional journey as I sifted through my previous years from teenager to teacher.
My sister and I have gone out to hear live music, caught a movie in one of New Zealand's luxurious theatres where you can lounge on a couch and sip a glass of wine while enjoying a flick. We still have 4 presentations to prepare for and a few more social events planned with her friends. She also lives near the beach and if the weather keeps up with this warm sunshine, I shall be swimming in the sea sometime soon.

Tomorrow I drive 2 and half hours north to Wanganui, a small river side community where a presentation is planned. We have long-time family friends who live there so it’s a chance to catch up with them as well. Both mum and my sister Naomi will be joining me so it is another road trip for the girls.

Today I filled a supermarket trolley with my old time favourite junk food. It’s not all for me, I promise. At least this will be one way to share ‘my’ New Zealand with Dean when I return. My friend Robyn also has put her order in so although my 136 books will not be returning to Canada, an entire suitcase of junkfood will be.
I’m still soaking up the day time chorus of cicadas, the night time crickets and early morning Magpie song. I can’t wait to go across to Kapiti Island, a bird Sanctuary on an island, a 30 minute boat ride away from my sister’s house. A live soccer game and rugby game is on the cards, as well as a days cruise around the Martinborough wineries and finally another weekend sailing adventure with my dad.

Despite all of these fun events, I can’t help but be completely satisfied by simply being with my family, whether they are doing their weekly shopping or indulging in afternoon tea or helping them in the yard or about the house. I am simply delighted in just hangin with the fam.

No comments:

Post a Comment