Tuesday, October 4, 2011

PRISON TIME

I can’t help but play with the fact that I just went to prison. You should have heard my mother when I called her to let her know that I was ‘going to prison today’. The moment of silence and the stumbling through her words when she finally did speak was priceless. As you can see it was a novelty to me. I’ve never been to prison before and the only imaginings I have of it has been concocted by Hollywood films and the occasional news clip. It wasn’t at all what I expected.

On September 29th I was invited to do a presentation at the William Head Penitentiary in Victoria, BC.
The drive was beautiful as I weaved my way along the Southwestern shores of Vancouver Island, passing through the picturesque village of Metchosin and arriving at one of the most stunning settings for a prison.
Transient Pod T041 (three generations) Photo by Jared Towers
I parked my van and walked towards the security entrance. Yards and yards of coiled barbed wire framed the top of the tall fences that surrounded the institution. The officer took down the make, model and serial number of my computer, they required picture ID before I entered and asked if I could leave any knives, firearms and explosives in my vehicle. “Yes sir” I replied.
William Head Prison
I was greeted by Kim, the librarian who had arranged the visit and 3 other invited guests from ‘the outside’.  Kim took us on a tour through the facility, pointing out the original buildings when it was a quarantine station for immigrants and refugees back in the early 1900’s.
Once beyond the barbed wire fences it reminded me of a university campus. Ancient Oak trees rustled in the wind, losing their leaves in the fall breeze while Raccoons lingered below, like domestic cats oblivious to our presence.
We went into the library, the carpentry room and the area where the First Nation inmates were carving totem poles and cedar bentwood boxes. It was a relief to learn that the men who are living here are encouraged to learn new skills from eachother and continue with their hobbies and interests.

We arrived at the Salmon house, the venue of my presentation. I set up the equipment and once the 6pm inmate role call had taken place, the men started to wander in. By the time everyone was seated
 I looked out to my audience and was surprised to see a gathering of normal looking gentlemen.  Farmers, fishermen, business men and artists, for whatever reason, they had an interest in what I had to say.  It was an unusual beginning to a presentation. The person in charge of ‘in prison’ activities couldn’t stay for the entire presentation so he decided to present me with the gift beforehand. He explained that a couple of the inmates had been working on my gift for over a week and when he handed it to be I was moved beyond words. It was a beautiful hand-carved cedar box with every detail carefully designed. The hinges, handles and inside the roof of the lid was crafted like I have never seen before. On top of the lid which really got me going was the native design of an Orca, painted by the elder, Kevin.  It was stunning. I was touched to tears which is no way to begin a presentation. I pulled myself together, thanked the men with much gratitude and began my story.

They were a fabulous audience. As I took them on a journey to South Georgia, on a wing of an Albatross they were curious enough to ask fantastic questions along the way. They laughed at the right times and their eye contact and expressions told me that what I had to share with them was of interest.  The clap and visits by individuals at the end of the presentation was another indication that it was a success.
As I walked back through security once my cedar box and computer had been cleared to exit the facility, I felt grateful for this unique opportunity to speak to a group of men who perhaps appreciated the uniqueness of my story, perhaps leaving with them, a string of hope.

On October 15th I will be speaking in Canmore at the Festival of Eagles along with Charlie Russell who is scheduled to speak the night before. Ahh gee, talk about pressure. It’s like me playing on stage, the one song I know on the guitar, just before U2 is about to play.  All will be revealed in a weeks’ time. Check-out the poster on my event calendar page.
Cheers, Hayley


No comments:

Post a Comment