Sunday, March 11, 2012

A short journey South

The memories came flooding back as we drove around the outskirts of the city of Christchurch. It was my student city back in the late 80's and early 90's. During my three years of attending Teachers College I lived in three houses and bicycled the many streets, a bike being my main transport. Hagley Park was my jogging ground and the Port Hills and Sumner were my playing grounds. Life has radically changed for the local people of this city now referred to as the Fallen City. My stomach wrenched everytime I saw a fallen steeple from a church or a building completely devastated by the large earthquakes and numerous aftershocks this city and the people have endured over the past two years.



We were due to be out in Akaroa for a speaking engagement so our visit in Christchurch was brief, for now.
We would return on Monday and walk the streets closer to where the core of the damage occurred and face up to the reality of these devastating circumstances.

We drove along country roads in an Southerly direction and headed East over a pass which lead to the Banks Peninsula. Founded by James Cook in 1770 and settled by the French, Akaroa is a quaint village that is now the gateway to world of the Hectors Dolphin. Famous hikes, boat cruises and swimming with the dolphins are a handful of activities offered. I was here to speak at a Kayak Forum held at the Wainui YMCA.

I spoke that evening to an audience of very keen kayakers and outdoors people. At first my mum thought she'd be out-aged thinking she would be surrounded by young, active youth. But to her surprise most of the people attending was a similiar age, Mum fitted right in. Infact she got talking to a gentleman from Victoria, B.C, CANADA, and they realised they had met before. When my mum came over to Canada two and half years ago, she attended one of my presentations. And there she met the Canadian gentleman Gary Jacek.  He was in New Zealand on holiday with his daughter. How tiny our wonderful world is.

The audience was fabulous. They laughed at the wildlife images, responded to my stories and even laughed at my jokes. I appreciated their good humour and support as I shared with them my South Georgia Expedition experiences.


We spent the following day in Akaroa, walking the narrow streets, admiring the wild, native front-yards of locally owned cottages. I was shocked to stumble across the very house that Frank Worsley was born and raised in. The very same Frank Worsley who was captain of Shackleton's Endurance expedition.


I soaked up the scent of kelp and sea salt, which oozed from open ocean and into the bay where we were picniced. I enjoyed the still blooming Rata trees that filled the streets with vibrantly wild colour. We indulged in locally caught Fish n Chips and sipped on a wine from the region. And then.....
I bumped into the parents of my best friend from Teachers College (whom I haven't been in touch with for 17 years) right in Akaroa. How delightful and lovely to see them again.
The world is getting even smaller.
Today we head back into Christchurch to visit more intimately the fallen city. I feel nervous, apprehensive but at the same time it feels like something I must do, to visit the city during this unfortunate phase and witness the coming together of people, holding on to hope and their love for their garden city.
more news soon

No comments:

Post a Comment