Monday, March 5, 2012

News from kiwiland

How grand it is to sit at my computer with the windows open inviting the sound of crickets to fill all corners of my mother’s office. Yes I’m in New Zealand, my home sweet home and it feels marvelous.

Me with the animals - getting to know my mothers 'other' children :)
I have not visited my family, my homeland in nearly 5 years. Five years! Yet another sacrifice one makes when embarking on an adventure like South Georgia.

I departed from Vancouver, my luggage and carry-on bags were bursting with books. I managed to pack 140 copies of South Solo, to the disgust of all those officials who managed my bags. At one stage I had 3 security guards surrounding my carry-on bag, trying to decide what to do with what felt like a block of cement.

I was on a 2 meal, 3 movie, 5 hour sleep flight from Vancouver to Auckland direct, which amounted to only 13 and a half hours in the air. Not bad when you consider the fact that I am travelling from one hemisphere all the way into another. I lost an entire day-Monday Feb 27th did not exist in my world up in the clouds.

When the wheels touched the tarmac, my stomach churned with excitement and weirdly enough – nerves. How strange to feel nervous reuniting with one’s own family.
After arriving into Auckland airport, I took a one hour domestic flight to the Southern region of the North Island called the Kapiti Coast. And what a sweet sight that awaited me. My entire family was gathered holding a Welcome home Hayley sign and my mum held a bunch of wild flowers. My sister ran towards me and leaped in my arms and the tears just flowed. I didn’t know who to hug next. I wanted them all in my arms at one time.

The afternoon was the most precious of times. We headed to my sister’s house and spent the next 7 hours simply being together, catching up, sharing stories, nibbling on snacks and celebrating with a bottle of local wine. The summer sun squeezed its way beyond the blanket of clouds followed by a chorus of cicadas.

The beautiful beach only minutes away from my mums house, and thoroughly enjoyed by Bella
As the afternoon cooled and evening was soon upon us, it was sadly time for everyone to be on their way. Although I have 6 weeks to be with my family, I did not want to say goodbye, even if it was only for a day. I felt like they were my own limbs that should not be separated from my body. Wow, that does sound peculiar doesn’t it but the detachment felt quite odd.

'The dolls house' this name was chosen by the neighbours, perfect for my little mum
I am based at my mums’ house. She lives in a westcoast beach town called Otaki and her home is only a 5 minute walk from the beach. When the wind is howling and the waves are heaving you can hear the ocean crashing on the long and beautiful beach. The day I arrived was calm. I fell asleep to crickets and woke to Magpies and mooing cows in the nearby field. It is summer and I am home.

Yesterday I began the presentation program my sister has put together for me. She has delighted in the self-delegated task to be my presentation manager. She has lined up 6 speaking engagements, hence the reason I brought 140 books with me.

Yesterday afternoon was the first presentation delivered in New Zealand. It was a friends and family affair which included a BBQ afterwards. The venue was perfect. Naomi had arranged the event at the Otaihanga Boating club which had all the amenities including a well-stocked kitchen, seats for over a hundred and an outer deck which overlooked a river leading out towards the coast.

How strange it was to be introduced to the very familiar audience by my sister, and to have my parents in the audience! I’m relieved that both my mum and dad had already read the book so there weren’t too many shocking surprises. It was emotional for me as I shared my story with them in the flesh. I wondered what was moving through their mind as I showed my images and video footage and shared the adventures as I kayaked around one of the most beautiful yet challenging islands on the planet for the sake of saving a bird.

It was a fun afternoon and a fabulous way to catch up with a whole bunch of wonderful people all in one room.

This coming weekend I’m heading to Christchurch, then onto Akaroa to speak at a kayak symposium. Both my sister and mum will be joining me, therefore it has turned into a road trip with the girls. I can’t wait! More news soon.

Our very belated Christmas celebrations. It's never too late to open Chrissy pressies and share a roast.


1 comment:

  1. New Zealand is a travel friendly country for its secure and safe environment. I was astonished to read a few days ago that only the earthquake caused large number of casualties here. But It's very rare that people have been killed here in clashes or by robbers. So visit New Zealand without any security threats. Flights to Auckland

    ReplyDelete